The Consolidation mine (also called 'Consol') was a lot more than just a hard coal mine: It was the engine of Gelsenkirchen 'the city of thousands of fires.' Workplaces for countless employees. And an important sponsor of a soccer club that is now one of the biggest in Europe today: FC Schalke 04.
No wonder, after all the mine’s history started right in the vicinity of Schalker marketplace. At that time, in 1863, with the drilling of the first shaft on today’s Gewerkenstraße. Since then, the mine has been going through a fantastic upturn that should last for more than 100 years.
Already in the 1870s, Consolidation mine was one of the highest-yielding mines in the Ruhr region. Its growth seemed insatiable. New shafts continually had to be built. Here, shaft 9 played a special role. Its drilling started in 1915, but extraction work could only begin after 1918 due to the First World War.
Its designers still structured the two-story double-trestle in half-timbered construction. But since the end of the 1920s, solid wall construction took over, so that the filigree-like building is one of the last headframes preserved of its kind in NRW. It was therefore only logical that the City of Gelsenkirchen already put the plant above shaft 9 on its list of monuments in 1987. Five years later, it placed the associated machine buildings and hoisting machines under protection, too.