Zeche Radbod

  • Adress

    Zeche Radbord Schacht 1/2
    An den Fördertürmen  
    59075 Hamm

  • Opening hours

    Radbod mine can only be accessed during tours. Outside areas are freely accessible.

  • Tours

    Industrial history tours 

    Every 2nd and 4th Sunday in a month
    2 p.m.

  • Association

    An association is not active at this location.

From owner to owner. Frequent change in ownership.

In 1920, Radbod mine was transferred to the ownership of Köln-Neuessener-Bergwerksverein. Ten years later, this mining association entered into a merger with the iron and steel mill Hoesch. Initially, the newly created company called itself Hoesch-Köln Neuessen AG for mining and iron/steel activities until it operated under the name of Hoesch Aktiengesellschaft as of 1938. After the Second World War, the company was subject to the Allies’ unbundling measures. As of 1952, it first belonged to the new Altenessener Bergwerks AG, and was then transferred to the Hoesch Group four years later. In 1969, the newly founded Ruhrkohle AG ultimately entered the scene, taking over Hoesch AG’s mining property.

1990. The last shift.

During the changeover in 1989, Radbod mine achieved its highest annual output: 1.3 million tons of coal. At this time, the number of employees was approx. 1700. Nonetheless, the closure due to adaptation measures in German hard coal mining could not be prevented. Already on 1/31/1990, the last loaded mine wagon rolled over Radbod’s site. The plant’s top management relocated most of the staff to the neighboring mines Heinrich Robert, Monopol and Westfalen. The monument ensemble transferred over to the ownership of the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments in 1997, which is why it was not demolished like the other above-ground plants. It was entered in the list of monuments of the City of Hamm three years later.

Retracing the past. Radbod today.

Countless switches and display panels. Historical instruments and colossal machine wheels. Myriad questions and detailed answers: During tours given by the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments, visitors have the opportunity to learn more about Radbod mine’s exciting history. The job center in Hamm and workshop in the area of Unna GmbH also use the hoisting machine buildings as a facility for the education and further training of students, young people, refugees and job seekers.

Buildings

2 double hoisting machine buildings

1907/08

Construction period

1907/08 Headframes and
hoisting machine buildings

Shutdown

1990

Industrial monument

since 2000

Foundation location

since 1997

Property

8.900 m²

Technical facilities/machines

2 Headframes with pit banks

1907/08

2 twin tandem steam-driven winding engines

1907/08

Restoration, redevelopment and construction measures

2004

Maintenance of roofs, roof structure
and dewatering on the machine buildings

2003–2004

Securing of facades on hoisting machine building 1

2011

Maintenance and safeguarding measures
on hoisting machine building 2

2012–2015

Refurbishment of headframe and shaft hall pit 1

2015–2016

Refurbishment of headframe and of shaft hall of pit 2