Zeche Sophia-Jacoba

  • Adress

    Zeche Sophia Jacoba Schacht 3  
    Sophiastraße 30  
    41836 Hückelhoven 

  • Opening hours

    Verein Schacht 3 Hückelhoven e.V. opens the monument every Thursday from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.
    For more information, just click here: www.schacht-3.de

  • Tours

    Förderverein Schacht 3 Hückelhoven e.V. offers an extensive program of tours and events all year round.

    More information at
    www.schacht-3.de

  • Association

    Schacht 3 Hückelhoven e.V.

    www.schacht-3.de

A proud 48 meters. The headframe over shaft 3.

The headframe over shaft 3 was completed in 1934. The master builders constructed it as a two-story single trestle in half-timbered construction. Here, not only is the construction striking due to its imposing height of 48 meters, but also especially because of its two rope sheaves arranged on top of each other. The shaft hall, hoisting machine building and electrical hoisting machine have been preserved, too. The systems still testify today to the busy days and they welcome visitors during regular tours.

Under protection. The mine as a location of the Foundation.

The ensemble found its way into the list of monuments in the years 1996 and 2001. In 2010, Sophia Jacoba was transferred to the ownership of the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments, which enabled the high-profile industrial monument to be safeguarded against demolition.

Time seems to stand still. Sophia Jacoba today.

Rusty mine wagons, clean changing rooms and pit lamps in display cases. Miners’ clothing that hangs from the ceiling in the pithead bath and ancient machine switches, which appear anything other than age-old. Time at Sophia Jacoba seems to have stood still. Tremendous credit for this goes to the association Förderverein Schacht 3 Hückelhoven e.V. To keep memories of the mine’s glorious days alive, the persons in charge have been demonstrating tireless commitment for many years now. For example, the members have set up a mining museum and they offer exciting tours all year long: Visitors can tour the machine and shaft hall in the footsteps of the miners and hard workers. With a look into the 70-meter long Barbarastollen underground archive, they can find out more about the miners’ day-to-day working life right up close. They also have the opportunity to listen to thrilling stories from days gone by during a tour through the 23-meter long visitors’ longwall. The association also enthuses people with a comprehensive program of events – and the special charm of the mining era.

Buildings

1 machine hall

1965/66

Construction period

1929/34 Headframe
1965/66 Hoisting machine hall

Shutdown

1997

Industrial monument

since 1996 (headframe)
since 2001 (machine hall)

Foundation location

since 2010

Property

2.500 m²

Technical facilities/machines

1 headframe

1929/34

1 electrical hoisting machine

1965/66

Restoration, redevelopment and construction measures

2002–2005

Maintenance of machine building

2006

Creation of a practice gallery

2011

Maintenance work on the facades
of the machine building