1 machine hall
1932 machine hall
Another name that is closely connected with mining on the left bank of the Rhine is Franz Haniel. In 1857, Rheinpreußen coal mine, with a size of close to 100 square kilometers, was conferred to the entrepreneur. Sinking activities of the first shaft started in the same year. In 1866, sinking of the second shaft took place in today’s Duisburg-Hamborn. But it was only ten years later that the mine could produce the first hard coal. Franz Haniel could no longer experience this kick-off. He passed away in 1868. The founder’s family took over the helm, the family who should turn Rheinpreußen into a true success story. During the three decades from the end of the 1870s, three more pits were created.
In the course of developing the northern Rheinpreußen coal mine, the miners sunk two new shafts in 1927, which should bear the name of Heinrich Pattberg. Production on Pattberg 1 began in the same year. In 1934, employees started work on Pattberg 2. During this timeframe, the aboveground facilities were almost completely developed. When coal production started, the Pattberg pits obtained independent management and belonged to the technologically most advanced mines in Europe.
The consortium with Rheinpreußen mine took place in 1956 – and the success story reached its peak. Because from 1956 to 1969, Rheinpreußen mine was regarded as the uncontested, most productive mine in the Ruhr precinct. In 1966, it achieved its maximal output with around 4.7 million tons of hard coal. At that time, 9363 employees worked at Rheinpreußen.
Rheinpreußen mine was transferred to the ownership of Ruhrkohle AG in 1969. As a result, the Pattberg pits were spun off in 1970, taking over its new role in the group with the Rossenray pit. In 1971, Ruhrkohle AG merged Rheinpreußen mine with Pattberg/Rossenray. This close alliance marked the birth of the Rheinland amalgamated mine. It took another 22 years until Rheinland and Friedrich Heinrich were consolidated by 1993.
Following the shutdown in 1993, the pits were backfilled step by step. It resulted in extensive demolition works, so that only a few buildings have been preserved. The machine hall belongs to locations of the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments and Historical Culture since 1995, which successfully prevented the machine hall’s demolition. It was entered in the list as a monument in 2012.
Colorful lights shine from the machine hall’s windows. Tuneful melodies can softly be heard outside. Since 2016, cultural events repeatedly take place at Pattberg. Extensive building refurbishment and site development are pending.
1932 machine hall