Zeche Hansa

  • Adress

    Zeche Hansa Schacht 3 
    Hülshof 39
    44369 Dortmund

  • Opening hours

    Access to Zeche Hansa is only possible after consultation with the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments and Historical Culture.

  • Tours

    A tour program is currently being developed.

  • Association

    An association is not active at this location.

Times of growth. Owned by Vestag.

Right in the middle of the Golden Twenties, a new player stepped onto the field in the coal and steel industry: the major group VSt. The abbreviation stood for Vereinigte Stahlwerke AG. The company consisted of a merger between various companies in the coal and steel industry and their shareholders included important companies. This comprised the Thyssen Group. Vestag, as people also called the Group, took over Hansa mine and expanded it into a large-scale pit. The persons in charge also converted the former weather shaft 3 into a new main winding shaft.

Master at work. In the hands of renowned architects.

In 1929, a tragic event took place. VSt’s construction director, the architect Hellmuth von Stegmann und Stein, unexpectedly passed away at the age of just 37. The Group had to find a new specialist. For drafts of the over-ground facilities of the new main winding shaft, the association of architects Fritz Schupp (1896 - 1974) and Martin Kremmer (1894 - 1945) was selected. Both were considered as key representatives of new building. For example, they designed the pit of Zollverein mine 12, which has belonged to the UNESCO world cultural heritage since 2001.

The shutdown. The end of a 100-year era.

The coal crisis hit Hansa mine, too. At the end of the 1960s, the shutdown was successfully prevented. But the price war was still ongoing and the persons in charge had to look for new ways to shape coal production more cost efficiently in order to make it competitive. Reliance was therefore on high pressure water jetting in the mid-1970s, which should make dismantling less expensive. However, hydro-mechanical production was far below set expectations, so that the executive level was forced to decide on the mine’s shutdown.

An era came to an end. After over 100 years, the plant closed its factory gates in November 1980.

Demolition work got under way in 1983. Three years later, most of the over-ground facilities had disappeared. But their stories remain unforgotten. The plant has therefore been on the City of Dortmund’s list of monuments since 2006.

Plans for the future. The mine today.

As an important location of the integrated economy of the Dortmund coal and steel industry, Hansa mine belongs to the Foundation for the Preservation of Industrial Monuments, which safeguarded the monument against demolition by taking over its ownership in 2015. It was a key member in the production association of mining, coking and smelting works, and is an enlightening relic of the industrial era. The Foundation is working on concepts for tours on-site, with which they want to convey the integrated economy’s relationships in a descriptive way in the future. In the process, visitors should get insights into the hoisting machine building and the electrical hoisting machine that is kept inside. Originally constructed in a steel framework, the hoisting machine building was destroyed in a hail of bombs in the Second World War, and was rebuilt in original cubage in the years 1946/47. With one difference: The master builders opted for massive construction for the reconstruction. 

Buildings

1 hoisting machine building

1932

Construction period

1932

Shutdown

1980

Industrial monument

since 2006

Foundation location

since 2015

Property

10.019 m²

Technical facilities/machines

1 headframe

1932

1 electrical hoisting machine

Restoration, redevelopment and construction measures

Plans under way