Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information World Heritage Ruhrgebiet
 
 
Home   | Industrial Monuments   |   Gneisenau Colliery   |   History  
Gneisenau Colliery
History
 
History
Sinking work began at Gneisenau colliery in 1873 but, due to the high inflow of water, extraction could only start in 1886. The colliery was acquired by the Harpen Mining corporation in 1891 and expanded in the 1920s to become a large-scale pit.  
After Scharnhorst colliery was taken over, shaft number 4 was sunk at Gneisenau in 1930. It replaced shaft 2 in 1934 as the main shaft. The twin trestle construction (1933) which was erected next to the Tomson headgear above shaft number 4 is widely recognised as the landmark of the suburb of Derne. Because of lack of space the winding-engine houses had to be built very close to the headgear; this meant that the struts of the frame had to be almost vertical. The twin steam hoisting engines (two-cylinder Koepe sheave winding engines) habe been preserved. They were manufactured in 1924 and 1934 by the Good Hope Steel Mill in Oberhausen and installed on the first floor of the engine house in order to obtain a more favourable rope angle. Only a few of these engines still exist today.
Print
Stiftung Industriedenkmalpflege und Geschichtskultur
  Home | Kontakt | Deutsche Version | Impressum | Links
Bereich 2.gif
Contact
 
Foundation Hansa Coking Plant
Consolidation Colliery
Gneisenau Colliery
Pattberg Colliery
Prosper Colliery
Radbod Colliery
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
Schlägel & Eisen Colliery
Sterkrade Colliery
Zweckel Colliery
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press release for the world heritage proposal
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Events
picture library
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information __________________________________________________