Foundation Industrial Monuments Press World Heritage Ruhrgebiet
 
 
Home   | Industrial Monuments   |   Sophia Jacoba Colliery   |   History  
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
History
 
History
In 1909 and the following years the industrialist family Honigmann ordered a shaft to be sunk near the former village of Hückelhoven. Extraction began at shaft number 1 in 1914 after the colliery was sold to a Dutch coal import company. In 1917 the plant was named Sophia-Jacoba after the wives of the new owners. After the completion of additional shafts in 1918 (number 2) and in 1930 (number 3) the colliery played a major role in the economy and urban development of Hückelhoven and the region. 3,300 people were employed at Sophia-Jacoba at the time.  
Work on constructing the pithead frame above shaft number 3 - a two-level strut frame in a framework design - was begun in 1929 but did not become fully functional until 1934. A notable feature are the two head wheels which are placed one above the other. The head frame platform which is 42 metres high, is visible for miles around and is regarded as a landmark memento to the early years of industrialisation in Hückelhoven.
Print
Stiftung Industriedenkmalpflege und Geschichtskultur
  Home | Kontakt | Deutsche Version | Impressum | Links
Bereich 2.gif
Contact
 
Foundation Hansa Coking Plant
Consolidation Colliery
Gneisenau Colliery
Pattberg Colliery
Prosper Colliery
Radbod Colliery
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
Schlägel & Eisen Colliery
Sterkrade Colliery
Zweckel Colliery
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press release for the world heritage proposal
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press __________________________________________________