Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information World Heritage Ruhrgebiet
 
 
Home   | Industrial Monuments   |   Radbod Colliery   |   History  
Radbod Colliery
History
 
History
A few years after it went into production the Radbod colliery made a regrettable reputation for itself with one of the worst pit desasters in the history of German coal mining, when a fire-damp explosion on November 12th 1909 killed 350 miners. Production did not resume for almost a year, when Radbod became the first colliery in the Ruhr area to use electric hand lamps underground.  
 
Radbod was constructed as a symmetrical twin shaft site. In 1907/8 two „German strut frames“ of the Klönne type were built above shafts 1 and 2. Their three-hinge construction meant that these head frames, which had been standard since 1903, were able to adapt to surface subsidence.  
 
The winding-engine houses, which still exist, were built in an historicist style. Round arch friezes, pilaster strips and alternating brickwork and plaster areas structure the facades. The steam-powered twin tandem hoisting engines dating back to are among few to have been preserved in North-Rhine-Westphalia.
Print
Stiftung Industriedenkmalpflege und Geschichtskultur
  Home | Kontakt | Deutsche Version | Impressum | Links
Bereich 2.gif
Contact
 
Foundation Hansa Coking Plant
Consolidation Colliery
Gneisenau Colliery
Pattberg Colliery
Prosper Colliery
Radbod Colliery
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
Schlägel & Eisen Colliery
Sterkrade Colliery
Zweckel Colliery
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press release for the world heritage proposal
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Events
picture library
 
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information __________________________________________________