Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information World Heritage Ruhrgebiet
Home   | Industrial Monuments   |   Consolidation Colliery   |   History  
Consolidation Colliery
Construction work on the Consolidation colliery began in 1863 with the sinking of a shaft in the hamlet of Braubauerschaft (now Bismarck). As early as the 1870s the colliery was one of the largest in the Ruhr area. Work on building shaft number 9 started in 1915. The First World War delayed completion and the imposing twin strut frame was only erected in 1922. One year later shaft number 9, which had been taken over by the Mannesmann group, was extended and became the main shaft.  
The twin strut frame was built as a steel framework construction. It marks the end of a stage in pithead building, for standard pithead frames began to built as solid constructions at the end of the 1920s. The intricate twin strut frame is one of the last remaining frame of it kind in North-Rhine-Westphalia.  
The engine house to the south, which was built in 1922, was designed by the colliery architect Heinrich von Bonin (1871-1927) as a partly plastered clinker construction, the facade of which is ornamentally structured with pilasters. In 1963 it was equipped with a twin steam winding engine. This was the last steam engine manufactured by the Good Hope Mill in Oberhausen. The engine house to the north, a cubic brick building dating back to 1937, was designed by the industrial architect Dr. Ing. Hans Väth (1897-1950). The steam winding engine which dates back to 1938 has been preserved.
Stiftung Industriedenkmalpflege und Geschichtskultur
  Home | Kontakt | Deutsche Version | Impressum | Links
Bereich 2.gif
Foundation Hansa Coking Plant
Consolidation Colliery
Gneisenau Colliery
Pattberg Colliery
Prosper Colliery
Radbod Colliery
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
Schlägel & Eisen Colliery
Sterkrade Colliery
Zweckel Colliery
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press release for the world heritage proposal
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Events
picture library
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information __________________________________________________