Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information World Heritage Ruhrgebiet
Home   | Industrial Monuments   |   Zweckel Colliery   |   History  
Zweckel Colliery
In 1902 the Prussian state purchased a mining claim which it name after the neighbouring village of Zweckel. In 1910/12 „German strut frames“ were constructed above shafts 1 and 2; these are reckoned to be some of the oldest remaning frames of this type in the Ruhr area. In 1929 Zweckel was merged with the Scholven colliery from where the coal was brought to the surface. The Zweckel/Scholven pit was closed in 1963. Until 1995 the shafts on Zweckel were used to pump out water from neighbouring pits.  
The heart of the Zweckel colliery was the engine house which was built in 1909; a brick building whose architecture is more like that of a castle than a working place. The historicist-style exterior seems rather antiquated for the time when compared to with the inside of the building with its art nouveau contours and ornamentation. The gallery platform, which was originally equipped with switchboards is especially stately. Blurred outlines of paintings with arcades and friezes can still be seen on the walls of the hall. The only signs that this used to be a huge engine house are a few remaining items of technical equipment. The converters and the two electrical winding engines which were constructed in 1908 by AEG (electricity) anf Thyssen&Co (machinery) have also been preserved.
Stiftung Industriedenkmalpflege und Geschichtskultur
  Home | Kontakt | Deutsche Version | Impressum | Links
Bereich 2.gif
Foundation Hansa Coking Plant
Consolidation Colliery
Gneisenau Colliery
Pattberg Colliery
Prosper Colliery
Radbod Colliery
Sophia Jacoba Colliery
Schlägel & Eisen Colliery
Sterkrade Colliery
Zweckel Colliery
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press release for the world heritage proposal
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Events
picture library
Foundation Industrial Monuments Press Visitor Information __________________________________________________